The Sustainable Blue Economy Conference is the first global conference on the sustainable blue economy. Over 18,000 participants from around the world are coming together to learn how to build a blue economy that:
- Harnesses the potential of our oceans, seas, lakes and rivers to improve the lives of all, particularly people in developing states, women, youth and Indigenous peoples
- Leverages the latest innovations, scientific advances and best practices to build prosperity while conserving our waters for future generations
Why this conference?
The world has rallied around the enormous pressures facing our oceans and waters, from plastic pollution to the impacts of climate change. At the same time, there is international recognition that we need to develop our waters in an inclusive and sustainable manner for the benefit of all.
The Sustainable Blue Economy Conference builds on the momentum of the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the 2015 Climate Change Conference in Paris and the UN Ocean Conference 2017 “Call to Action”.
The conference will:
- Identify how to harness the potential of the blue economy to create jobs and combat poverty and hunger
- Show how economic development and healthy waters go hand in hand
- Capture commitments and practical actions that can be taken today
- Bring together the players needed to transition to a blue economy